Starts the project selection by Jérôme Sessini at Trieste Photo Days 2023
Online open call with prizes
Saturday 23 September 2023 - Sunday 22 October 2023
The selection of photographic projects is open! Projects will be evaluated by Jérôme Sessini, special guest of Trieste Photo Days 2023. Up for grabs a personal exhibition at the 2024 edition of the festival.
The photographic open call for the selection of free-themed photographic projects to be exhibited at the eleventh edition of Trieste Photo Days in 2024 officially opens.
An exceptional judge will select the submitted projects: Jérôme Sessini, French photographer member of the Magnum agency, famous for his live photo reportages on conflicts in recent history: Kosovo, Palestine, Iraq, the fall of Aristide in Haiti, the conquest of Mogadishu by Islamic militias, the war in Lebanon and the long-term project So far from God, too close to the US on the drug cartel war in Mexico.
Sessini will award the best project, which he will personally announce and present live at the Trieste Photo Days 2023 on Sunday 29 October 2023, in Sala Xenia. The winning project will win a personal exhibition produced, set up and presented at the eleventh edition of Trieste Photo Days in 2024 as well as a free two-night stay to attend the exhibition.
Jérôme Sessini will also send to 3 of the best projects received a written professional consultation in order to offer to the photographer a moment of confrontation, as well as suggestions and advice useful for professional growth.
» Awards for the Best Project
- Personal exhibition at Trieste Photo Days 2024
- A two night stay for two persons to attend live the exhibition
- Live talk with the author
- Publication of an extract of the project in the Festival Catalog
- Selections are open from Saturday, 23rd September to Sunday, 22 October 2023 and aimed at both professional and amateur photographers
- Photographers must register and upload their projects to the new user area my.dotlogic.net
- To participate in the selection, a registration fee of 20 € per project is required
- The projects theme is free and up to the author’s choice
- Projects can contain a minimum of 3 to a maximum of 20 images
- Each author can participate with as many projects as wished
- We accept both color and black and white photos
- Projects and portfolios may be accompanied by a short description/presentation. We reserve the right to modify, edit and/or not publish content considered offensive and/or not in line with the portfolio
- Photos must not contain signatures, watermarks or frames
- To make sure that the order of the photos is correct, add the numbers in the desired sequence to the file name (eg “filename03.jpg”, “08filename.jpg”, …)
- The winning project will be announced Sunday, 29th October 2023, at Sala Xenia, during Trieste Photo Days 2023
- Each photographer retains the moral and intellectual property rights on their works nominated for the Call. Each author grants the dotART association the non-exclusive right to use the winning/selected images to promote/advertise the association’s non-profit activities, upon official communication to the author (whose name will always be attributed to the work)
» Technical characteristics of the images
- JPG format
- RGB color mode
- Single files must be less than 9 MB each
- Smallest side minimum size: 2000px / longest side maximum size: 6000px
- The filename (filename.jpg) must not contain special characters (accents, apostrophes, symbols, etc.)
- PayPal to firstname.lastname@example.org or paypal.me/dotart
- Bank transfer to dotART – IBAN IT43F0306909606100000010209 – BIC/SWIFT Code: BCITITMM (reason: “Jérôme Sessini selections + Your name and surname”)
Magnum Photographer Jérôme Sessini builds a passion for photography, discovering documentary photography through books shown by a friend, a photographer. He initiates his own practice, shooting people, landscapes and the daily lives of those around his native Eastern France (with Diane Arbus, Lee Friedlander, Mark Cohen, in mind).
In 1998, although nothing predicted he would turn to journalism, Sessini arrives in Paris. Gamma photo agency gives him the opportunity to cover the ongoing conflict in Kosovo.
Sessini has since then covered most of the international current events: Palestine, Iraq (from 2003 to 2008), Aristide’s fall in Haiti (2004), the conquest of Mogadishu by the Islamic militias and the war in Lebanon (2006).
Sessini’s work is immediately internationally acknowledged. It is published by prestigious newspapers and magazines, including Newsweek, Stern, Paris-Match as well as Le Monde and the Wall Street Journal.
His photography also leads to single exhibitions at the Visa Photo Festival in Perpignan, at the Rencontres d’Arles, the Bibliothèque Nationale François-Mitterrand, as well as with the French Ministry of Culture.
In 2008, Jérôme Sessini started the Mexican project “So far from God, too close from the US” a dive into the drug cartels’ war in Mexico. This still-ongoing project has already been awarded twice with the F-Award and a Getty Grant.
From this direct confrontation with violence, Sessini has recognized a state of things which is at the heart of his work, “Ordinary fellows are always those losing, either it being in Iraq, Mexico or France”.
Evolving within an uncertain balance of cynical realism and upset, Sessini is very careful with the “rightness” of his photographic work. He rejects idealism and otherworldliness, which do not take into account some pieces of reality.
Learn more about Jérôme Sessini:
– Magnum Photographers – Jérôme Sessini
– Magnum’s Jérôme Sessini on finding your photographic voice, interview by Rachel Segal Hamilton